Tips for energy saving lighting
When it comes to lighting your home it is important to consider energy saving say the TEAM at Droogfontein Solar Power.
- Go LED: LED light bulbs are the new way to save on lighting costs. They last between 10 to 40 times longer than compact fluorescents and use 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs.
- Use the Sun: if it’s sunny outside hang your laundry to dry and switch the tumble-dryer off.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room!
- Use “task” lighting rather than whole-room lighting when only a small amount of light is required.
- Use lamp shades that direct light both up and down, instead of confining lighting to one part of the room
- Preferable do not to install several lights, such as lamps or lighting fixtures on a single switch.
- Clean your lamps and bulbs regularly, because dirt decreases the amount of light given out.
- Dimming switches allow you to regulate the light level and reduce electricity consumption to some extent.
- Use lampshades with white liners that transmit soft, even light.
- Use low energy lamps for exterior lighting.