Good energy saving habits
These are the Droogfontein Solar Power TEAM’s good energy saving habits:
- Completely switch off appliances and entertainment systems when they are not in use. Remember, things that go “beep” in the night use huge amounts of energy.
- Open curtains on your north-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your home.
- Close your windows at night to keep the chill out.
- Install tight-fitting, insulating drapes or shades on windows that feel drafty.
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the power strips off when the equipment is not in use — TVs and DVDs in standby mode still use several watts of power.
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater.
- Use low-flow showerheads for additional energy savings.